Stack of Dollars

How to Qualify for a Marygrove College Student Debt Discharge

NEWS ALERT: In December 2019, Marygrove College in Detroit, Michigan abruptly announced that it was closing down for good at the end of the fall semester.

The school had already shut down it’s undergraduate program in 2017, but now was choosing to close the graduate program as well, officially suspending all operations.

Because the school has closed, former students that hadn’t yet completed the graduation requirements for their degree programs now have access to a Federal Student Loan Forgiveness Program called the Closed School Student Loan Discharge Program.

If you’re eligible for a Closed School Discharge, you’ll be able to receive complete loan forgiveness on all of your Marygrove-related Federal student loans, as long as you don’t want to keep the credits you earned from the school.

This Guide will explain how to apply for a Closed School Discharge from Marygrove College.

But Before I Explain How the Closed School Discharge Program Works…

First, let me give you some quick advice – if you DO want to keep your Marygrove credits, or if you DO NOT qualify for the Closed School Discharge, then you may want to consider hiring an expert to help with your loans.

If you're truly struggling with student debt, then you should also consider paying a Student Loan Debt Relief Agency for help. Why? Because the people working at these companies deal with student loans all day, every day, and they're your best chance at figuring out how to get your loans back under control.

I've interviewed all sorts of debt relief agencies over the past 10 years, talking to all sorts of so-called "experts", and I can tell you that in all honesty I've only found two companies I trust to offer actual financial relief to people struggling with student loans.

For help with FEDERAL Student Loans: Call the Student Loan Relief Helpline at 1-888-906-3065. They will review your case, evaluate your options for switching repayment plans, consolidating your loans, or pursuing forgiveness benefits, then set you up to get rid of the debt as quickly as possible.

For help with PRIVATE Student Loans: Call McCarthy Law PLC at 1-877-317-0455. They will negotiate with your lender to settle your private loans for much less than you owe, then get you a new loan for the much lower, settled amount. NOTE: McCarthy Law can ONLY help with Private student loans.

If you do decide to call one of these companies and you have a bad experience with either of them, PLEASE make sure to come back and let me know about it in the Comments!

Who Qualifies for a Marygrove College Closed School Discharge?

To qualify for the discharge, you must not have completed all the coursework required to graduate at the time that the school shut down, and you must have been actively enrolled in the school, or on an approved Leave of Absence, within 120 days of the closure.

I can’t find the exact date that the school shut either of it’s programs, but it looks like the Undergraduate Program closed in 2017, and the Graduate Program closed in December of 2019.

To figure out if you’re eligible for the discharge, you’ll have to determine the actual date of your program’s closure, then see if you were still enrolled in the school within 120 days of that date.

Now, with that said, even if you DO qualify for the Closed School Discharge, remember that this only works for FEDERAL student loans.

One of the nicest things about forgiveness program is that it’s cut and dry, totally objective, meaning that as long as you qualify, you get the Discharge.

This is completely unlike some of the other Federal Student Loan Relief Programs currently available, like the Borrower’s Defense to Repayment Program, which requires convincing someone from the Department of Education that your school committed fraud against you, and which ends up being totally subjective.

Conditions That Prevent a Closed School Discharge

Before I explain how to apply for a Marygrove Closed School Discharge, let me first explain conditions that could prevent you from getting an approval.

If any of the following situations apply to you, then DO NOT apply for the Closed School Discharge, because you’ll simply be denied:

  • Do not apply if you withdrew from courses over 120 days before Marygrove closed
  • Do not apply if you’ve already transferred Marygrove credits to a similar program elsewhere
  • Do not apply if you completed all the coursework to graduate before the school shut down

Most people who end up prevented from being able to utilize the Closed School Discharge become ineligible because they’ve already transferred credits elsewhere and started working on a degree-completion program at another school.

Remember though, even if you do qualify for the discharge, you’re going to have to agree to surrender all the credits you earned from Marygrove in order to take advantage of it, so DO NOT APPLY for the discharge if you want to keep those credits and finish your degree!

How to Apply for the Closed School Discharge

This is the easy part – applying for a Closed School Loan Discharge is incredibly simple.

Here’s what you’ll need to do:

  • Get in touch with your Federal Student Loan Servicing Company and tell them that you want to apply for the Closed School Loan Discharge Program
  • They’ll provide you with instructions on the application process, so just complete whatever forms and paperwork they ask for, then wait for your approval

To find out who your Student Loan Servicing Company is, visit my Guide on Federal Student Loan Servicers here.

While you’re waiting for a response on your Closed School application, make sure to keep making your monthly student loan payments.

Do not stop issuing those payments until your servicer has informed you that the discharge is complete and your loan no longer exists.

State Tuition Recovery Fund Refunds

The Federal Government issues Closed School Discharges, but some States also offer funds for students whose schools shut down while they were still attending, via a program called State Tuition Recovery Fund Refunds.

To see if you’re eligible for one of these refunds, contact your state’s Postsecondary Education Agency.

Postsecondary Education Agencies are responsible for setting the rules for higher education institutions in each state, so they do things like create the rules colleges and universities must abide by, then monitor school compliance for those standards and enforce regulations.

To figure out who your state’s Postsecondary Education Agency is, go to Google and search “YOURSTATE Postsecondary Education Agency”, then simply call or email whoever comes up and ask them if you’re eligible for a State Tuition Recovery Fund Refund.

Other Federal Student Loan Assistance Programs

If you do want to keep your credits from Marygrove College, or if you don’t qualify for a Marygrove Closed School Discharge, then take a look at some of the other Federal student loan benefits programs on offer.

Over the past 10 years, I’ve written more than 100 Guides on covering these programs, and I can pretty much promise you that some of these Guides will be able to help you with your student debt.

To get Help with Federal Student Loans, check out my Guides on:

If You Need Help With Private Student Loans

And if you have both Federal and Private student loans, then you’ll want to look at my Guides on Private Student Loan Relief Programs, which you can find here:

If you have any other questions about student loans, please feel free post them in the Comments section below.

I’ll do my best to get you a response within 24 hours!

Finally, Please Help Me Out!

Maintaining this website is basically like working a second, full-time job, and I can only continue to create guides like this one if people like you help me out in return!

I’m not asking for donations, but I am asking for you to help spread the word that this site exists by sharing a link to it on Facebook, Reddit, Twitter or wherever you communicate online.

The more people who visit FSLD, the more time I can dedicate to writing up Guides like this one and helping borrowers like you.

Thank you for visiting, and thank you so much for your support!

Disclaimer:Information obtained from Forget Student Loan Debt is for educational purposes only. You should consult a licensed financial professional before making any financial decisions. This site receives some compensation through affiliate relationships. This site is not endorsed or affiliated with the U.S. Department of Education.


Tim's experience struggling with crushing student loan debt led him to create the website Forget Student Loan Debt in 2011, where he offers advice, tips and tricks for paying off student loans as quickly and affordably as possible.